In 1858, the original County Jail was abandoned and offered for public sale. Dr. Andrew Jackson Spalding purchased the old jail and lot and used the bricks in constructing his new home, which was eventually called Camalier House. The house is a two-and-one-half story, side-passage plan dwelling that represents one of the earliest extant in-town residences. Boasting modest Greek Revival detailing and proportions, the exterior features painted wood lintels over the doors and windows and distinctive bridged chimneys situated on the north gable end of the house. After the Civil War, the home was sold to Frank Neale Holmes, who also owned a store and the steamboat pier at Leonardtown Wharf.
Back to the Walking Tour