The present-day St. Aloysius Church (1962) was constructed in the Colonial-style on Washington Street adjacent to Father Andrew White School (1954). This church replaced the earlier St. Aloysius Church (1846) that stood on the south side of the parish rectory overlooking the Town Square. In 1959, the old church, with its belfry and graceful spire, was deemed structurally unsound and demolished. The covered arched walk-way that connected the rectory to the old church remains intact. The 1885 Jenkins' Memorial Bell, presented in honor of Father Charles K. Jenkins, was saved and installed in the new church. He is noted for his success in bringing the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky to the community in 1885.
Back to the Walking Tour