In the late 1860's, St. Andrew's Parish recognized Leonardtown's population had grown sufficiently so as to support the construction of a new chapel. St. Peter's Episcopal Chapel, Washington Street, is an example of a vernacular Gothic-style church. The church epitomizes Gothic design with its steep roof, slender windows with pointed arches, its Gothic-style "skeleton" pews, and its detailed interior roof work. The stained glass windows have been restored.
Back to the Walking Tour