By the early 20th century, it was clear that a hospital was needed in Leonardtown, but no funds were available for a permanent building. A group of leading citizens established the first hospital in 1912 in a dwelling on Fenwick Street owned by Margaret and Francis Greenwell. The rent was $10 a month. This 1880's building served as the hospital until 1916 when a new hospital was erected on Route 5. While the building has been extensively renovated, it retains its distinction as the first hospital in Leonardtown.
Back to the Walking Tour