The Carousel, originally known as "The Union Hotel" (1850), is located on the west side of Washington Street. According to a notice of sale posted in the November 26, 1857 issue of the St. Mary's Beacon, the Union Hotel could accommodate 100 guests and had stables for 200 horses. After the public sale, the hotel was renamed "The Fenwick Hotel". Due to its ties to court and government function, the hotel played a critical role in housing visitors on court and voting days as well as boarding tradesmen. The hotel was also popular for barbecues and public debates.
Back to the Walking Tour